Thursday, January 1, 2009

New Years Day - Southern Style

Happy New Year!

In the tradition of eating certain foods to bring good luck for the upcoming year, we had a meal fit for a southern king.

Pork - so that you will have a fat wallet during the year. I read somewhere that if you eat chicken you will have to scratch all year (I must have cooked chicken last year LOL).
Photobucket
I choose a pork roast with all the fixin's.
Photobucket
On it's way to the oven.
Photobucket
The finished product. So good, some couldn't keep their hands off of it!
Photobucket
The yummy vegetables.

Greens and black-eye peas to represent dollar bills and coins. Now I only like mixed greens and I am not too fond of black-eye peas so I didn't want to cook big pots of these from scratch. So to make Sandra Lee (of Semi-homemade fame) proud, I choose to take my super market finds and enhance them.
Photobucket

One of the tricks I have learned is to take the canned variety of items and make them your own. So I have this handy dandy strainer that I use for canned foods. This was something that I purchased when a co-worker had a pampered chef party and I just had to buy something (you know those kind of parties)but I'm sure that these can be found at any kitchen specialty store.
Photobucket
Photobucket

I then drain and rinse the food and continue to use my spices and additions to make the final product my own recipe.
Photobucket
My greens.
Photobucket
My black-eye peas.

Of course, corn bread is a must with greens and black-eye peas.
Photobucket
The well seasoned cast iron skillet.
Photobucket
Perfection!

My mother and daughter came over to enjoy the meal with my husband, my son and myself. It was a wonderful way to start the new year!

1 comment:

Amanda said...

It all looks great and I'm sure it was nice to be able to get together and share with family. We had pork tenderloin and yes, I made the black eyed peas, the first time I'd eaten or made them.... and they were actually good - much better than I had expected! But I did cheat and we had spinach instead of greens - I hope it counts!!

HAPPY NEW YEAR!